Be Perfectly Joined Together
- Some materials in this lesson are taken from https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/come-follow-me/primary?lang=eng.
- They were then arranged conveniently for printing. The “Come Follow Me” program is about self-learning and teaching.
1) The Holy Ghost Teaches Me Gospel Truths
This lesson teaches how to search and find truth in today’s turbulent world. Even the definition of the word truth is troubled.
An online dictionary search for the word truth reveals this as one possible answer:
Truth is “A Fact or belief that is accepted as true”
[Comment] There are many people that do not accept things in the Church of Jesus Christ as truth. Whether it be that Joseph Smith was a prophet to Christ being resurrected. These things are true even if nobody believes it:
One of the Holy Ghost’s roles is to teach us truth. My personal thought on truth is much different that the dictionaries.
The only truths you can be sure of, are the ones the Holy Ghost teaches you.
[Question] Why is the first thing we receive after Baptism the Holy Ghost?
[Question] What is the first and most important truth the Holy Ghost teaches us?
John 15:26 (The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of truth; he will testify of Christ.) *The most important truth we learn from the Holy Ghost is Jesus is the Christ.
Have fun with the kids thinking about the different ways in which they learn
How do you learn?
– Some people learn by keeping a beat
– By singing
– By repeating
– When they are having fun
– Together with a friend
What are the ways you learn about the world?
What are the ways you learn about the church?
– Holy Ghost
How do you know things are true?
– When you see
– When you hear
– When you smell
– When you touch
^ For this last part, see if you can trick the kids senses. Are there somethings you can see or hear believing it is one thing when it is another? Show them pictures, have them hold fools gold, or Example: make a sound of an animal and have them guess what it is.
– When you feel the Holy Ghost, you can of a certainty that things are true, because it is more powerful and convincing then all our senses.
– The children you teach will find—if they haven’t already—that some people teach things that contradict God’s wisdom.
2) The Wise Man and the Foolish Man
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
[Question] Why did the Foolish Man build his house upon the sand?
[Question] What is the rock that the Wise Man built on?
– Jesus Christ is the foundation of your faith.
3) Treat Your Body with Respect and Keep it Holy
Learn about the Word of Wisdom:
D&C 89:4 – Joseph Smith receives revelation
In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation:
Prophet Joseph Smith also taught
“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves”
In a game of bad or good, you can read the slips below and have a discussion about them. You can see that depending on how you use it, something that is bad can become good.
– Wine (for drinking) —bad–
– Wine (for drinking) that is for the Sacrament and pure wine of the grape of your own make. –good–
– Strong drinks (for drinking): alcoholic beverages like beer, distilled spirits like whiskey —bad–
– Strong drinks: for washing of bodies and medical purposes –good–
– Tobacco: For body and belly –bad–
– Tobacco: (not for man) but an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill. –good–
– Hot drinks (for drinking): Tea and Coffee, harmful or habit-forming substances. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body. –bad–
– Herbal teas (hot drinks): The Lord has given us herbs “to be used with prudence and thanksgiving” (D&C 89:10–11) “to strengthen the body” in certain cases of minor illness. But he has warned us that herbs should be used “with judgment” –bad and good–
[Comment] (churchofjesuschrist.org) – A well-nourished body has no unnatural cravings and requires no drugs to perform well both intellectually and physically.
There are many herbs and drinks with which to study and learn about before consuming: Salvia, Panax, mint, Alfalfa, Ephedra, Clover, peppermint, lemon verbena, wild cherry bark, wintergreen, etc… https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1979/08/i-have-a-question/do-herb-drinks-fall-into-the-classification-of-hot-drinks-forbidden-by-the-word-of-wisdom?lang=eng
– Wholesome herbs: used with prudence and thanksgiving. –good–
– Meat: flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air: used by man with thanksgiving and sparingly. –good–
– All Grain: for the use of man and of beasts –good–
Wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
– Fruit of the vine: in the ground or above the ground –good–
[Comment] The promise that is made to the saints for following these commandments
And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
[Comment] a common misconception, among both members and non-members is that the Word of Wisdom exists primarily, or only, to promote the health of the members.
1 Corinthians 2:11, 14
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1 Corinthians 6:19
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1) Why is the Holy Ghost so much more reliable then me as a teacher?
Leave a message in the comments if you liked any of the ideas or downloads. Let us know if you’d like us to make some materials specific to your lesson. We can do it! Your support is appreciated 🙂