Luke 2; Matthew 2
We have come to Worship Him
- Some materials in this lesson were taken from https://www.lds.org/study/2019-come-follow-me?lang=eng. To understand the helps provided, please study the lessons manuals.
- They were then arranged conveniently for printing. The “Come Follow Me” program is about self-learning and teaching. I have made outlines and other useful materials so that you may craft your own lesson with them.
Some of the material throughout is meant for older kids or Sunday school, but I wanted to at least show you my outline for teaching Primary at least once. You’ll find it at the end of the post.
Many people in the early New Testament seek after Jesus Christ. We are invited to follow after Christ. How may we look for him? The three wise men saw a new star appear in the heavens.
Object Lesson #1 – Hide a star in the classroom above the heads of one of the members.
Shepherds are told by an angel, “Fear not… I bring you tidings of great joy! For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord”
Object Lesson #2 – As another option, you could hide a print of an angle in the room.
There are others that seek out or are promised by the Lord that they will see the savior. These are shown in the chart provided by the church.
Some scriptures I thought were important to share with the class are these:
Luke 2:10-11 – Be of great joy, the Saviour is born
Moses 1:39- This scripture complements the small story of when Jesus went missing.
When Jesus is a young child and is missing, we read that His parents sought for him with great worry. They later find Jesus in the Temple and this is his response:
“How is it that ye sought me? Wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?“
That story complements the teaching moment:
* What is Father’s Business? (Moses 1:39)
Luke 18:22 – Is an invitation to come unto Christ.
Luke 2:4-7 – Teaches the humble circumstances of His birth.
This crafted download for class, focuses on the subjects lds.org outlines in their lesson plan. You may have your own ideas for how these can be used.
The gospel teaches us to learn by asking questions
Joseph had at least 4 dreams from angels warning him and protecting him and his family. As you read, think of some questions you can ask like:
Can we receive guidance from Heavenly Father to protect us from harm?
What do you notice about the humble circumstances of His birth?
How can we become a good disciple and follow Christ when he calls?
Download these cut-out questions to hand out!
It was on my mind during my study, that Joseph took Mary (while pregnant) to Jerusalem because Caesar Augustus issued taxes.
Although not part of the lesson reading. A scripture came to mind.
“Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar ‘s; and unto God the things which are God’s”
I went ahead and made these coins you may be able to use in an object lesson/activity
(Outline Sample for Primary)
- Bring a baby doll to class
- Hide a star in the class above someones seat on the ceiling.
- Bring frankincense and myrrh if you have any 🙂
Remind about last weeks lesson
- Class Review– call on someone asking this question
– Last week an angel appeared to Mary. What message did he have?
– Whom else did the angel appear to?
- Joseph in a dream
- The angel told Mary that Elizabeth was also going to have a baby
- Angels appear unto many people – The angels appeared unto the shepherds
– Read “Scripture A” > Luke 2:10-11
“Fear not… I bring you tidings of great joy! For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord”
– Ask the class to look for the star
– What did the star mean and where did it shine?
a. Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem to pay their taxes
b. Hand the baby to the child in their seat where the star shines above their heads
- I can give good gifts to Jesus
– The shepherds brought frankincense and myrrh & gold to Jesus.
– What good gifts can you bring to Jesus?
- Being a good friend
- Who seeks after the Savior
– There are many people that looked forward to the coming of Christ
- The Shepherds
- Wise Men
- Play church video from lds.org- recap lesson about the Saviors birth
Thank you for reading this blog & the idea’s I’ve prepared for you. I am so happy and excited to be apart of this new gospel learning program. I feel like my relationship with the Lord will improve if we do our best to teach each other both at church and at home.
Please leave a comment below if you have something to share 🙂